Vivez Bien * Live Well

Friday, December 22, 2017

Christmas


Apologies for my long absence... I hope there are still some of you out there reading this! I've realised that blogging regularly requires quite a bit of discipline and sadly, I'm not as disciplined as I'd like to be. I somehow got out of the habit and struggled to get back into it. I have missed it though so am going to make it a New Year resolution to blog more regularly. On second thoughts, that's a bad idea - I'm useless at sticking to New Year resolutions. Let's just say I'll be trying much harder from now on. 


I have been quite restrained with my Christmas decorations this year. I find that every year I tend to put out less and less stuff. I also include much less colour, tending to stick to the natural and neutral with touches of gold and silver. When my kids were young they were drawn to the bright and shiny, and the decorations were all red and green. I found this photo, below, from about 8 years ago. I haven't used this wreath for many years now, but am hanging onto it because hopefully one day I'll have some grandchildren that will appreciate it! (It might just disintegrate before then)


 Now that the boys are all teenagers and older, they don't really notice things like Christmas decorations. That would involve turning their heads away from the PlayStation and that's not going to happen! The upside is that I can indulge my own ideas without interference. 


This scene above my mantel feels a bit like a white Christmas. In those blazing hot summer days here in Cape Town I imagine myself lying in the snow somewhere freezing. My friend, Jacqui, just spent some time at the Ice Hotel in Sweden. I was as green as a Christmas tree with envy!


The boys' Christmas sacks are out waiting to be filled by Father Christmas. They might have lost a bit of interest in the Christmas decorations but they certainly haven't lost interest in the gifts! They are stuffed with newspaper for now, and might not look quite as abundant on Christmas morning. (What was I thinking making such huge Christmas stockings!?!)


As usual other peoples ideas are always much better than mine. Here are some pictures found on the web which really appealed because of their simplicity....


Frosted pine cones in silver containers under a cloche, so easy and so effective...


 Tea lights in pretty holders and a pine branch...


Baubles in a rustic urn....


 Wooden beads and white birds in a tree....


Fairy lights under a cloche....


I think these trees made out of drift wood are a lot more suited to a South African Christmas than the traditional fir tree. Especially in drought-ridden Cape Town at the moment with our parched gardens, we should be able to find a lot of dead wood lying around!


How about paper trees? The boys could use their school books. It would probably be the best use they would make of them all year!

.

Love this idea.... just simple foliage in a silver vessel. I could use my silver trophies. I have quite a good collection, not through any sporting or academic prowess, just excellent shopping skills!

Fresh olive branch wreath with gold bells - neutral, fresh Christmas

 And finally, a wreath made from an olive branch and some Christmas bells. 

On that note, wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas filled with peace, love and laughter.

 Till next time (and there is going to be a next time, I promise)....

Sharon x


 For some more Christmas ideas, visit my Pinterest page here.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Sharon, I have missed your wonderful posts. I love your white and silver Christmas theme. So refreshing from the mega colors I surround myself.
    Merry christmas to you and yours. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Christmas Sharon - you have been missed and I'm glad to know all is well. Blogging is time-consuming but so worthwhile when we make lovely friends and share great ideas.
    I love what you have done around your home for Christmas. My color scheme for many years was neutral once I changed to 'shabby chic' with all white slipcovers, however I've been redoing my living room this year and brought back some color - dining room still neutral - and so my Christmas decor has brought in a lovely rusty red which actually I'm enjoying with my new blues.
    We don't have snow either, and only a little rain lately - hope you get some cooler weather soon.
    Have a wonderful holiday and all the best for the New Year - WHEN I HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK HERE!
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete