Vivez Bien * Live Well

Sunday, January 5, 2014

"Undecorating"


I love a new year. I love that feeling of renewed hope, both for myself and the world in general. I have stopped making resolutions that I don't or can't keep, but I do feel that 2014 has the potential to be a fabulous year for all of us.

To quote Einstein " Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

To my readers all over the world, a heartfelt thank you for your continued support of my blog and wishing you a New Year filled with possibilities!



On to today's post.... as much as I love decorating for Christmas, I think I prefer the "undecorating" after the event.


You might find it hard to believe, but I think I might be a closet minimalist.


When all the decorations are down and packed away, my home looks very bare and uncluttered and I love it.


The furniture seems to have more room to breath without being adorned with accessories.....



The art on the walls doesn't have to compete for attention....


...the light fittings become more noticeable....


....the air flows through the rooms...


...and the few decorative items that are displayed make more of a statement.


But, alas, it doesn't last!


I like beautiful things...


....and I like displaying beautiful things....


 ....and I probably have too many beautiful things....


....so they slowly, but surely creep back out of the cupboards and onto a table here or a dresser there....


...and before I know it, the minimalist look is gone.



Do you suffer from the same malaise?



What I should do, is keep many of my things packed away....


....and when I want to take something out to display, force myself to remove something else...a sort of rotation basis...


I have a friend who is like that with her wardrobe....every time she buys a new item of clothing, she forces herself to throw an existing item out!


Sadly, I don't think I have that kind of discipline....


...and I am quite attached to many of my things....


So I just have to rely on Christmas coming every year (luckily, so far, its been very reliable)


...and then I can make a fresh start after the "undecorating".



Till next time
x Sharon


Image source: 1. Cote de Texas 2. Sweet Montana 3. Cote de Texas 4.  Decorare  13. Cote de Texas 18.  From Greenwich 19.  Rik Storms 20. Christophe Living.com 21.  Under Spanish Moss.  All other pictures from Tumblr and Pinterest



16 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon........hapyp 2014! Beautiful pictures, there is something very soothing and peaxceful about these rooms, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!! The older I get the less I want...loving the more spare look...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous images! I too find relief in putting everything away .. it feels wonderful to have space to breathe!

    Hope you new year is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely post, thank you. I love the minimalist look, but I could never do it. I have too many books creeping up the stairs, music spilling over tables, pictures taking up every inch on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hardest thing I find to take down is the fresh holly wreath that goes on the front door - it always seems bare once it is gone but the space gained from all the clearing is therapeutic .... I love your inspirational images ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 2014! I love the spare look too and yes, I suffer from the same problem. I allow some clutter in a few areas but try to keep it down ... a constant ebb and flow. Thanks for your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had the discipline to do the same, as I too love the after holiday clean slate look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a beautiful house! I love your clean look. I am trying to declutter my house, but even with the Christmas decorations removed, there are still too many things everywhere. You must have sumptuous storage space to be able to put so many beautiful things away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon,
    You've expressed so well what I feel every January...I believe I could be a minimalist. March visits and I've slowly added back into the mix some of my favorite accessories and so the cycle begins again. :) Beautiful rooms.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with ya! As much as I love all the Christmas decor and the pine smell...it always feels so good to clean up and put everything away....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sharon, I hear you! I am trying very hard to keep our new spaces, clean of clutter and beautiful things also...but my vintage soul and magpie personality are hard to keep in check!! The new year brings renewed goals and dreams, so I shall channel my energy into keeping things more minimal as well, N.xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice rooms, but I'm actually beginning to feel ill from the drabness of the lack of color IN EVERY BLOG - come on, people. There's more out there than this WHITE BLIGHT. This is like the fifth blog I've visited in an hour - all griege oriented. Nobody finds this stultifying?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I share with you the same thoughts and feelings after Christmas. After that I have just a little beige-white-greige moment and then all the bright and light colors of spring are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just discovered your blog (via a post on Pinterest) and I had to tell you how much I love it. In fact, I've spent the last few days going back through to the very beginning. I was drawn in by the beauty in your photos. It's wonderful to find a blog that so totally reflects one's own taste. So you definitely have another faithful reader. Looking forward to future dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! I know what you mean! When I take the Christmas stuff down, I just feel like, Ah! I can breath again. Then after about a week, I want to add fresh flowers; then candles, and on it goes. It's a funny little cycle really, but fun too.

    Great post!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete