Vivez Bien * Live Well

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Pondering the Persian

After my last blog post where I declared my eldest son to be my favourite because he shed a few tears in the movie "Lion", my second born felt he would like to make a play for the position of favourite. "I have been moved to tears too by something I watched on TV," he declared. My heart started to beat a little faster - maybe I have raised another son who is in touch with his emotions after all. What, I wondered, had he seen to cause his eyes to well up? Well it seems that it was when some very well known soccer player missed a crucial goal during the Euro 2016 final. The player in question cried and so did my son! "These are the moments that matter, Mom," he said. Gotta love boys!


In this post, I thought a would debate the merits of Persian and Oriental rugs in today's decorating scene. I had coffee at a friend's home recently and she had a Persian rug in her dining room that she had decided she was going to sell and replace with something a bit more contemporary. Her dining room is beautifully and simply decorated in shades of grey and I thought the deep red Persian added a beautiful touch to her room, but I can also understand why she wanted a change. I think we associate Persian's with our parents or even grandparent's homes. I certainly grew up in a home full of them.  



But do they have a place in decorating today? I think it depends on how we use them. I waded through picture upon picture on Pinterest and other sites and saved the ones that I liked and then analysed them. It seems that the common thread was that the Persian's look best when the accompanying furnishings and decor are pared down. 


Make them a centre piece and keep furnishings around them minimal and neutral. Don't crowd or clutter them because then they become what they were in granny's house. 



Also don't limit them to entrance halls and living rooms. They can look beautiful in kitchens....












....bedrooms....





 



...and even bathrooms!







So don't discard your Persian just yet. Rather use it in a new, more current way and fall in love with it all over again.

And if you are interested in my friends's Persian, contact me and I'll pass it on. Here is a pic.



Till next time

Sharon x


2 comments:

  1. I love this - I love Persians still, though I prefer them faded and threadbare to overly plush. I think it might be because I grew up WITHOUT them. My mother had a very spare aesthetic, even declaring a plain bound wool carpet she tried in our living room over the hardwoods (sometime in the 70's) as being too fussy and cluttered. Totally agree on keeping everything else simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    I try to decorate our home in a style that makes me happy. That said, I am a grandma, and the last thing I want is for my home to look like something "granny" would have (too many bits and bobs, clutter, etc.). I agree, one has to be cautious with too much stuff. I love Persian rugs, especially when they're worn and look like a family heirloom. Thanks for this friendly reminder of keeping things fresh and current.
    (loved the story about your son, boys are so much fun!)
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete