Vivez Bien * Live Well

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Monday Musings - Earning your Stripes



In the book "The Devil's Cloth : A History of Stripes and Striped Fabric" by Michel Pastoureau, he says that when stripes had first arrived in Europe, on the garments of a Carmelite order from the Holy Land, a great disturbance ensued. It appears that in the 13th and 14th centuries the wearing of stripes was a frightening transgression. In feudal times, anyone not to be trusted – village idiots, prostitutes, disloyal knights, tricksters, jugglers and clowns – might be dressed or depicted in stripes. Even in more modern times, prisoners in storybooks are often clothed in stripes.



Well, despite the dubious origins of stripes, I love them. They combine so well with florals, checks, spots, plains, almost any other fabric. They can be broad and bold in strong colours or subtle and gentle in paler hues. They can be rustic or sophisticated. They work in country homes, beach houses, urban lofts or stately mansions.


So to start off the week, I am sharing my pictorial collections of stripes with you. Enjoy!









































This cute little bunny and I wish you a happy week!

Till next time

Sharon x

Image source: 1. Dying of Cute  2. Elle Decor  3. Decorating Mumma  4. Georgiana Design  5. Zinnia Cottage on Etsy  6. Tumblr  7. Gregory Mellor  8. In his grip - Tumblr  9. Sparkle Sense Blog  10. Tumblr  11. Tumblr  12. Cozy Little House Blog  13. Tumblr  14. House to Home  15,. Cakestands and Buttondowns  16. Limilee  17. Tumblr  18. Decorare  19.  Windsor Smith  20. Casa Decorada  21. Apartment Therapy  22. Tumblr  23. Homedit  24. Cakestands and Buttondowns  25. Fric and Frac Blog  26. Pink Wallpaper Blog  27.  The Errant Aesthete  28. Houzz  29. Casa Decorada  30. Tumblr  31. Elle Decor  32. Cakestands and Buttondowns  33. Tumblr  34. Limilee  35 Mmmarly  36. Tumblr  37. Martha Stewart  38. Green Like Bathwater

21 comments:

  1. You are so right! I love stripes especially on ticking! Happy Sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love the fresh and casual elegance of stripes and ticking. I am helping my daughter pull together fabrics for their new baby boy's room. He is due to arrive in December. We have found some amazing stripes and ticking. We even found one suitable piece of striped yardage at Ikea! The room is going to depict a concept very close to the image you posted with the horse graphic above the bed. One of my favorite resources for striped rugs is Dash & Albert.
    Enjoy the new week!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post, Sharon! So very inspiring!! Love all of the grain sacks!!
    Have a lovely week!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful selection of stripes Sharon. The history is interesting, they are now such a timeless classic! Rachael x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merci pour cette leçon d'histoire !
    Thank you for this history's lesson ... I didn't know !
    I love your selection of stripes ...
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for a great lesson in stripes. Perfect illustrations of stripes and its applications. So many pics found their way to my pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the history and the Australian shepherd pup! Looks like my Chrissy! Have a great week! Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I'm not too girly in my design preferences, I really love stripes so this post is right up my alley. Too funny - I never thought about that - that stripes were typically only used for the outcasts of the society back then. AND I love that elephant table - how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Informative and very pretty Sharon. I have a lavender scented pillow exactly like the one with the little bunny :) Darling picture!

    Enjoy your week!
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorei conhecer a história das listras, lindas as combinações, minha mãe usava muito listas. Aqui onde moro é muito difícil encontrar tecidos bonitos com listas. Riquíssimas dicas de coração.
    Tenha uma ótima semana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stripes is a classic pattern I love,
    so beautiful, elegant, and versatile.
    Love your images.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon,
    I loved this post. I too love stripes and the way they go with a floral print...these were great images.
    Have a good week.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharon - I'm happy to see our old living room in that bunch ;) Some people are mad for plaid, but I'm crazy for stripes. I especially love them relaxed and a bit wrinkly.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not know the history of stripes so thank you for the lesson, interesting. I like stripes but now that I think about it I don't have any in our home I'll have to change that.

    Enjoy your week Sharon!
    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, beautiful textiles...Love that headboard...

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always Sharon, you find the most wonderful pictures. Love all the stripes.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many inspiring images! I love the striped chairs! I recently saw a DIY trick where you can put polka dots on your chair covers with a marker pen and it looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Any idea where on Georgiana Design the striped pic was found? I would love to get more information on where to find that bedding! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete