Vivez Bien * Live Well

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bounty from the garden

We had some friends over for a casual meal on the weekend. I wanted to keep the table setting fresh and simple. Green and white seemed the way to go, especially as I have these art deco wine glasses with green stems that I love to use, mostly because they fit so beautifully into my dishwasher and I am lazy about washing by hand!







My small cauliflower crop was ready for harvesting so I decided to make a cauliflower soup to start. I did a stir fry for the main course accompanied by a salad with ingredients from my garden.




A basket of freshly washed rocket. I am not normally a fan of orange and yellow roses, but these were bought for me by my sweet husband, so I love them!



This is my little kitchen garden when I first planted it....



...and just a few weeks later. It is such a rewarding past time and I get such a thrill from using my own freshly picked produce.




Who new a bean plant could be so pretty?




You might  think it strange to place a kitchen garden right next to the pool, but it is the sunniest part of my garden. I walk past it everyday to get in and out of my house so I am constantly tending to it. I previously had one at the back of my house but it got a bit neglected when life got busy.  I have also realised how attractive herb and veggie plants can be and because they are seasonal, the garden is constantly changing, which keeps it interesting for visitors.




The bird bath engulfed by basil.


The view of my kitchen garden from my patio.




These photos were taken on a sunny day. Today, however, it is pouring with rain.  My middle son is away on a school tour, my twins are playing at a friend's house and my oldest is quietly reading a book. It is so unusually peaceful at home this afternoon. I am sitting on the sofa with a blanket, my laptop, a cup of coffee, listening to some beautiful music, while compiling this post and enjoying the rain. And the main thing is my veggies are getting a good watering!


 

 
Till next time


Sharon x

24 comments:

  1. Hello Sharon, I enjoyed this post. love your kitchen garden and think it is a excellent idea to have it where it is part of your every day. I have the same green stemmed glassed and my favorit too. I love the winter. hugs Colx Afrique du Sud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, love your table setting and that garden outside your kitchen is just fantastic, I'd love to eat those veggies. I love rainy days, more than sunny, I like to fire up all my oil lamps on rainy days, we live up on the mountains and the view is spectacular.
    Have a great day!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Sharon! I love your table setting. I think your veggie garden is in the perfect spot and your right about how pretty herbs look. Everything looks beautiful as always! Martina

    PS- It's been raining here all day too:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, a lovely table setting, and a stunning vegie garden. So nice to use your own produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon, we have such similar taste! Both your cutlery and napkins are like what I use at home! Beautiful veggies & herbs...love the cauliflower!
    Enjoy your rainy day. xx Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon, love your veggie garden and so pretty next to your pool. I agree with you about the satisfaction you get from eating your own produce. Your dinner table looks beautiful. And a quiet afternoon with coffee and music sounds just perfect for a rainy day. Leahxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon what a gorgeous spot for your garden!! I love this idea of having the vegetables around the paving stones !!! I agree with you that these plants are beautiful. I know i have always planted veggies in my pots along with the flowers. The only problem was Pilot eating the cherry tomatoes from the pots!!

    I love your dining room chairs!! Your home is so stunning!!!
    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Sharon,
    when I can move into your house for the rest of my life?
    Wonderful art deco glass and mise en place!
    And wonderful garden ...
    Bisou, Babi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! That cauliflower looks so good!!!! What a beautiful setting. And I love, love, love your garden mixed in between the pavers! What a great idea! (One I may have to steal!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon,
    Thank you for stopping by Northern Light, it's a pleasure "meeting" you!
    I like your new herb garden very much, you have one a great job compartmentalizing the different herbs, it even looks decorative :)

    Happy cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love, love, love your garden! How wonderful the way it is tucked in amoung the pavers....what a perfect place.
    Penny
    p.s. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon, Your table scape looks just lovely. We love how you planted your garden. So cleaver and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look how wonderful your garden looks! I am so jealous the bunnies have been eating everything I plant this year.

    Best,
    Christina
    greige

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sharon. I think your veg garden is in the perfect spot to touch and feel and the fragrance when your in the pool in summer must be amazing! In my small patch which has now got loads of shade every sunny spot gets a herb or a rose, often together. One year I underplanted my roses with parsley and honestly both thrived and lookedamazing. I do feel that people don't use enough herbs in their plantings locally and it just so pretty! Love your table and napkins. Keep warm and dry..lol..

    Veronica
    xxx
    www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your kitchen garden. It's amazing how fast everything grows. Cauliflower soup is one of my favourites.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharon!
    This is my favorite post of yours so far!
    It's filled so much energy and inspiration!
    I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN!!!! Oh my goodness!
    The photo of the "Roses & Rocket" is art my dear!
    Have the greatest weekend...(I may be a grandma by Monday!}
    ~Lynne
    [w/l]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Sharon,
    What a place of soulful rest, and a garden to love :)

    The pool looks so inviting I am on my way over for a dip :)

    Thank you for your beautiful visit and comment I will treasure.

    Have a beautifully inspired weekend.
    xoxo
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful garden you have! I would love to plant something similar, but my dopey dog would devour it immediately :) I love your dining table, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the way your garden is planted. So beautiful this way and makes perfect sense. Your home is lovely. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Sharon,
    I love your table setting and your garden looks heavenly...
    thanks for stopping by my blog...glad to have found you :)
    Claudia xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my, pool and herb garden! How wonderful.

    Your table looks really nice, simple yet beautiful.

    Thanks for stopping by on my blog. Enjoy your weekend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sharon, I love it all!!!! Your table setting is delightful. You grow your own cauliflower? Awesome. I am in love with your kitchen garden. The most unique plan I have seen. I just shared it on Pinterest. Love you. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sharon! I just luv your "kitchen" garden! I can totally relate to you moving your kitchen garden to where it gets more sun, I have done the same, as well as planting in-between other garden plants!

    I luv your blog! Only just discovered it - Leslie told me about it!

    Have a wonderful week!

    Regards from a fellow South African!
    Karen Schaefer Louw
    www.interior-decor-design.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sharon how beautiful! You did an amazing job in your back yard!

    ReplyDelete